J-Lay

"Should've Been A Cowboy"

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Confessions of Adolecent Days Part 1

i don't know why i thought about this while driving to work, but i did and i thought i would share it with the nation.

back in high school i drove a teal, two door, 1993 ford tempo. not a babe magnet nor a hot rod. it was very reliable and i must admit driving a five speed was fun. sometimes i had a bit too much fun in it.

i would drive it like a race car from time to time. i would skip gears and a couple of time i found its top speed, which wouldn't show up on the display that only went to 85 mph. i estatmate the top speed to be around 125-130 mph.

one time i was driving my mom to the will rogers airport in oklahoma city, and one of my best friends, adam, came with us to keep me company. it is hard for my mom to cope with good byes so she decided to sleep in the back seat of my car while adam and i drove her to the airport. that day God must have been with us because i'm alive today telling this story. we made it from my hometown of burkburnett, tx to oklahoma city, ok in 70 minutes. that is 130 miles in 70 minutes. that's an average speed of 111 mph. this includes a construction zone that made me slow down to 45 mph for a couple of miles. thus, i emphasize the word average. at one point while going down a low grade hill my cars engine started to hesitate. as if it was saying i-can't-go-any-faster. i even saw two, that's right, two highway patrol cars that had pulled someone over on the southbound side of the highway. keeping them from noticing my high rate of speed. so not only am i still alive, but i didn't get a ticket or go to jail. i will be the first to admit that this was stupid on my part and i haven't, nor do i plan to repeat this stunt.

i will say some good came out of it all. my mom has little concept of time. on top of that it turns out that my mom misread her departure time on her ticket, and my crazy driving got her to the airport 10 minutes before her plane was to board. which we didn't know until we got to the airport. since my mom slept the whole way there and she doesn't have a concept of time. she was oblivious to what just happened. all she knows to this day is that she made it to the airport on time.

7 Comments:

At 8/24/2005 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

genious.

 
At 8/24/2005 3:39 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Each time I drive back from Pineland or Austin, I try to beat my personal best. One of these days, I WILL make it from Austin to Dallas in two hours.

 
At 8/24/2005 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't have a blog, at least not yet. thanks for the compliments on me and my friends. haha

 
At 8/24/2005 6:57 PM, Blogger The Cynical Tyrant said...

i drove a 1987 white ford tempo in highschool. a/c broke twice, steering broke once, transmission broke twice. the second time, it would only go backwards. that's when we decided to get rid of it.

driving backwards all the time is no fun.

 
At 8/24/2005 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!! That is fast...I get scared driving that fast!

faith

 
At 8/25/2005 11:50 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

i drove a 95 gmc pick up. it fell apart a little more each day. i'll blog about it this week actually.

 
At 8/26/2005 8:10 AM, Blogger Babs said...

my first car was a '91 ford tempo...............
word to the tempo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home