J-Lay

"Should've Been A Cowboy"

Sunday, August 14, 2005

My Name Is....

recently a blogger that i do not know personally asked me what my name is. so i have decided to tell the story of my name.

not so long ago i was born and my mom named me jason. she named me jason because she wanted me to be a doctor. what does the name jason and the medical profession have to do with one another? jason is a greek name that means healer. i like my name. it is a name that is short, easy to spell, and you can't really make fun of it. the only thing i don't like about my name is that i have to share it with way to many people. in the year i was born it was the 3rd most popular named used for a boy. number one and two being michael and christopher. it stayed in the top 3 from 1973-1980, and the top 10 from 1971-1983. so there are a lot of jasons out there. with this being said and my love of being unique. i tend to embrace my nicknames.

as a young boy my dad's mom's side of the family called me jaybird. mainly because i was tall, thin, and i looked like i had bird legs. when i entered middle school my friends started to call me frito. seeing as my last name is lay. this made a good fit. when i got into high school it progress to potato chips. since becoming a young adult it has progress to j-lay. i have always enjoyed having a nickname to make me unique and distinguish me from other jasons, and i really like my newest nickname that was given to me by my friend eric. so thank you eric for giving me the name j-lay and allowing me to have a truly unique name. for i'm probably the only j-lay in the world, and that's the rest of the story.

3 Comments:

At 8/16/2005 9:45 AM, Blogger Babs said...

great insight into your history!
me - i just decided i wanted to be "babs"

 
At 8/16/2005 11:06 AM, Blogger el mol said...

jlay - there are a lot of jason's out there now, when I was growing up, i was always the only Jason around. what can I say, my folks were ahead of the curve . . that said, I have ALSO had nicknames my entire life

jay
jj
oj
bean
jake
mol
etc

 
At 8/16/2005 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, you know my personal favorite of all your nicknames. It has to be j-bird. You'll always be my sweet cousin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home