J-Lay

"Should've Been A Cowboy"

Sunday, August 14, 2005

My Name Is....

recently a blogger that i do not know personally asked me what my name is. so i have decided to tell the story of my name.

not so long ago i was born and my mom named me jason. she named me jason because she wanted me to be a doctor. what does the name jason and the medical profession have to do with one another? jason is a greek name that means healer. i like my name. it is a name that is short, easy to spell, and you can't really make fun of it. the only thing i don't like about my name is that i have to share it with way to many people. in the year i was born it was the 3rd most popular named used for a boy. number one and two being michael and christopher. it stayed in the top 3 from 1973-1980, and the top 10 from 1971-1983. so there are a lot of jasons out there. with this being said and my love of being unique. i tend to embrace my nicknames.

as a young boy my dad's mom's side of the family called me jaybird. mainly because i was tall, thin, and i looked like i had bird legs. when i entered middle school my friends started to call me frito. seeing as my last name is lay. this made a good fit. when i got into high school it progress to potato chips. since becoming a young adult it has progress to j-lay. i have always enjoyed having a nickname to make me unique and distinguish me from other jasons, and i really like my newest nickname that was given to me by my friend eric. so thank you eric for giving me the name j-lay and allowing me to have a truly unique name. for i'm probably the only j-lay in the world, and that's the rest of the story.

5 Comments:

At 8/14/2005 12:23 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

ooohhhh...I like!

I love nicnames too, though I don't have many myself (but a couple weird ones...that are not used too often) I am a nicname giver, so we will get along just fine! JLay is a great nicname for you (now that I know the rest). I also like the name Jason very much because one of my best friends is named Jason and he is a 'healer' type peson. Being around him makes me feel better no mater what I'm going through so I tend to like the name Jason, but I call him Jay, or J-man, and he calls me 'Fay' because it's kind of the short form of my name and it rhymes with Jay...

 
At 8/14/2005 12:28 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

ps - I think my tendency would be to call you 'Chip' or 'crisp' (the British version of chip)...it's the first think that came to mind. (though that must be an old one for you)

 
At 8/16/2005 9:45 AM, Blogger Babs said...

great insight into your history!
me - i just decided i wanted to be "babs"

 
At 8/16/2005 11:06 AM, Blogger EL MOL said...

jlay - there are a lot of jason's out there now, when I was growing up, i was always the only Jason around. what can I say, my folks were ahead of the curve . . that said, I have ALSO had nicknames my entire life

jay
jj
oj
bean
jake
mol
etc

 
At 8/16/2005 9:13 PM, Anonymous Audrey said...

well, you know my personal favorite of all your nicknames. It has to be j-bird. You'll always be my sweet cousin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home