J-Lay

"Should've Been A Cowboy"

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Six O'Clock Blessings

i think it is wonderful how God blessing are so unpredictable. at six o'clock this morning God surprised me with a knock at my door. it was my neighbor from across the hall. she had gone out to start her car so that i could warm up before she carried her baby out to it. she said that as she shut her car door she told herself not to lock her keys in the car. to bad our mind works faster than our body because in an instant it happened. her keys where locked in her running car with no spare to be found. all she wanted when she knocked on my door was to borrow a flash light. so i handed her my mag-light flash light and completed the last five minutes of my morning ritual.

some mornings i wake up earlier than others so that i can catch the bus that goes from carrollton to downtown dallas. luckily this was one of them. so i had plenty of time to help my neighbor break into her own car before leaving for work. doing so would only mean that i would have to drive all the way to work as opposed to riding the bus. thus costing me $5 extra dollars between gas and parking.


my neighbor is fortunate in that she drives a late model dodge neon, shown above. this is because the first generation dodge neon has a door similar to the door of a convertible. when you roll up the window it sticks up all by itself as opposed to being guided into the top arch of a door that you would typically find on a hard top car. when i got out to her car she had pried back her window enough to stick a cloths hanger into the car. she was having some trouble holding the flash light and move the hanger at the same time so i offered to hold the light for her. i would have offered to work with the hanger but she said that she had done this before. thus, she had a bit more experience than i at doing this. after about twenty minutes of holding the flash light, watching her unsuccessful attempts, and thinking about what i owned that might work better, the light bulb above my head finally lit up. it was at this time that i excused myself by telling my neighbor that i might have a tool that would do the trick. a minute later i came back out to the car with a "T" square. 30 seconds later i had her door open and a smile on her face. i find that i'm constantly learning something new. In fact, almost every day, and at 6:25 this morning i learned how to break into a first generation dodge neon without breaking or scratching anything.

i love helping others. i find it to be joyfully rewarding. i believe that feeling is a blessing from God. since i left for work for later than i normally would and the sky was free of clouds. i was able to catch a golden texas sunrise. i was already feeling good about helping my neighbor. so when i saw that sunrise it was ecstasy. all of a sudden i felt warm inside of my cold car. i felt a sense of calm as i gazed into the orange and blue skyline. for a moment i was at peace with the world around me.

3 Comments:

At 11/16/2005 1:03 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

That is so funny. I used to drive a first generation Dodge Neon and was constantly having to break into it with a coat hanger. They are shockingly easy to break into, aren't they? You would be shocked to know how very often I had to break into my own car. I am kind of sad my current car is not so accomodating.

 
At 11/16/2005 1:17 PM, Blogger Babs said...

i like that story - thanks

 
At 11/19/2005 3:10 PM, Blogger The Cynical Tyrant said...

well this explains why my late model dodge neon was STOLEN a few years ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home