J-Lay

"Should've Been A Cowboy"

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

What Happened To Common Courtesy?

have you ever called someone, left a message on their voicemail, and they didn’t call you back? have you ever called someone and they told you that they were busy at the moment and would call you back later, but they don't? have you ever emailed someone a question and they never responded? more than likely the answer is yes. why don't people return calls or emails? there are lots of reasons out there. maybe they forgot that you called them. maybe they accidentally deleted your email. maybe they get so much email that yours was forgotten about. though these are great possibilities i don't think this happens as often as people think.

i feel that people avoid or ignore others quite often. possibly because they are not interested or they are scared of confrontation, and think that if they ignore your message that you will leave them alone. well, quite frankly i think that this is rude. i think common courtesy is dropping in our society, and not just in this area. i don't care if someone is asking you on a date, asking you for help, or asking you if you want to go somewhere with them. i feel it is wrong to ignore them. maybe people are afraid of hurting the requestors feelings? the truth is you hurt them more by ignoring them. anyone would rather have someone call them, text message them, or email them a big fat no thanks, than be ignored. right or wrong?

6 Comments:

At 10/12/2005 11:06 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

i've probably done this before... and most likely it was unintentional, but i totally agree with you.

 
At 10/12/2005 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, but I know I do it. I don't just ignore people. I seem to find myself with time to CHECK the e-mail or voice mail, but no time to respond. Then hours go by. Then days. And then I'm all, "CRAP! I totally just ignored so-and-so's e-mail. I SUCK!!" Or, because I'm a serious Night Owl, I won't remember to call someone until one in the morning... that is also problematic.

 
At 10/12/2005 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jas, I am with you...people are just plain RUDE these days. Maybe we are just old fashioned and this is the way the world is now. Hmm..sure hope not!

 
At 10/12/2005 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm bad at calling back because I detest the phone, and I don't like it when people go on and on about nothing...so if a talker calls me...I don't call back. I'm better with e-mail unless it is a 'form e-mail' in which case I think it's rude to send them...so I don't answer them.

It is daily courtesy with face to face people I don't get...people not letting old ladies have a seat on the bus and helping people to carry things etc...that drives me nuts!

 
At 10/17/2005 11:33 PM, Blogger The Cynical Tyrant said...

amen, jlay. it hurts.

 
At 10/17/2005 11:34 PM, Blogger The Cynical Tyrant said...

not that you've done it to me. that's not what i mean.

i just echo your sentiments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home