J-Lay

"Should've Been A Cowboy"

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Short Lived Truck

yesterday, june 2oth, i was driving around to different auto repair shops to get quote on what it would cost to convert the a/c in my truck to the new 134a coolant. it was around 6:15 in the evening. i was sitting in the left turn lane facing south on business 121 just north of I35. my light turned green and i proceeded to make a u-turn to go north on business 121. as i'm entering the far right lane i'm looking at a tow truck that is coming up to a yielding turn, to make sure he was going to yield to me.

the next thing i know..."CRASH", my eyes shut out of reflex. i can feel the right side of my truck land back onto the ground, i quickly open to see my truck rolling into the grass on the side of the road. i put my truck in park, turned off the engine, removed my keys, took a quick look around, and then got out of my truck. i began to walk towards a man stumbling towards me and away from his late 80's model camaro.


as i walk towards him i yell out, "are you okay....are you okay?" at that moment a witness to the accident comes jogging up to us and tells the man to sit down on the ground. as he layed down in the grass i reached into my pocket, pulled out my phone, and dialed 911. after describing the accident and our location the operator told me a police officer and ambulance were on their way. when i hung up the phone i noticed two more witnesses where standing near by. they asked if i was okay and i replied, "yes, as far as i know."

the man that was driving the camaro couldn't speak english, but one of the witnesses was beside him who also spoke spanish. shortly after i made the call a firetruck, ambulance, and police officer showed up to the scene. they immediately started checking on the man laying on the ground. while doing so a fire fighter asked who else was in the accident and i told him i was. he asked if i was okay, and i told him my hip was a bit sore, but that was it. he asked if i wanted to go to the hospital and i declined the ambulance ride, but told them i would go later in the evening.

looking at my truck with the officer on the scene was surreal. the whole event was surreal. i never saw the camaro coming, and obviously he didn't see me slowly making a u-turn in a 20 feet long truck. my windows where rolled down so my head didn't slam against my driver's side window, and there wasn't any glass that could come flying towards me from the passenger side. after a police officer took me for a 3/4 mile drive home, i got into my car and drove to the local hospital. amazingly i was in and out in less than 1/2 an hour. as far as i know all i have are some bruises on my hips from my seat belt. despite the loss of my truck, i'm simply glad to be alive and for the most part unharmed. thanks be to God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home