J-Lay

"Should've Been A Cowboy"

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Architectural / Engineering Problems

on sunday the manager of my apt complex gave me the keys to my new apt. so i decided i would start moving some of my stuff everyday this week to my new place. this being ideal because i am only moving 50 yards.

so i went out and bought a convertible hand truck {http://www.milwaukeehandtrucks.com/} (a/k/a "dolly") for moving my boxes and furniture. so i get my dolly home and proceed to convert it into a cart. come to find out the hole that i'm to insert the cotter pin through is not in line with the hole that is in the handle. so i cannot securely place the handle into the cart position. at this point i must decide whether to exchange the dolly for a new one, or use my drill to make the hole bigger so that i can fully insert the cotter pin. i choose option number two for two reason. one, i don't have to drive anywhere to do this since i have the right tools for the job. two, it is the manly thing to do. I proceed to complete the task with ease and move four loads of boxes to my new apt.

i now decide to get ambitious and move my washer and dryer by myself. my washer and dryer are a set that was made in the 1980's. so my washer is quite heavy. i find that my dolly handles the two appliances with ease, and i deliver my appliances to my new apt quickly and efficiently. now to install said appliances. the connections for my washer and dryer are located in the closet of my bedroom. which is next to my bathroom. kind of a cool setup. there is only one problem. the entry way to my closet/laundry room looks a tad bit narrow. come to find out the entry is as wide as my washer and/or dryer.

so here is the scene. i have my washer perfectly squared up with the entry way. i'm sliding it through the entry way, but wait. it is stuck. why you ask? because when you try to push a 36 inch wide metal box through a 36 wide hole. the object is going to rub both sides of the hole. so here i am by myself. my washer now on it's back, my butt up against my bathroom counter that is across from the entry way. and my feet pushing my washer through the not so big hole. i will say that i finally got both appliances into the closet, but must ask why the entry way must by so small. can any architects out there explain this phenomenon?

3 Comments:

At 6/07/2005 7:50 PM, Blogger Rya said...

Sounds like something I would have found VERY amusing. Wish I could have seen it. I have no answer to your question, sorry.

 
At 6/08/2005 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh...oh dear! Glad you don't have to live with your washer caught in the middle of the doorway--how awkward would that be? :)

 
At 6/09/2005 8:26 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

but somewhat convenient because you'd have to walk fewer steps to get to it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home