J-Lay

"Should've Been A Cowboy"

Friday, March 24, 2006

Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread

last night my financial office hosted a class about debt. i've worked with the company for over 18 months now and i've seen several of our classes and i think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but for the life of me i can't get anyone to go to these free classes. it seems like most of the people i know and meet already know the best way to get out of debt and the exact amount and way they should be investing for retirement or their child's education. ironically most of the people reaching the age of retirement right now don't have enough money or they have too much debt to retire. also our the average household credit card debt is at the highest level ever and the national savings rate is below zero, something that hasn't happened since the great depression. so do i believe people really know what is up; no. maybe i just don't have enough passion about our crusade, maybe i just don't have that much credibility, or maybe people don't care? i hoping it's one of the first two. here is a litmus test for you. true or false; the best way to pay down your debt is to put your extra money towards the debt with the highest interest rate. if your answer is true you should come to a class over debt because that statement is false.

1 Comments:

At 3/27/2006 12:52 PM, Blogger Ally The Strange said...

Hey Jay, I have 2 loans (one for electricity work and the other one for the roof of my house that had to be repaired)
Oddly I started to put the extra money into the debt with the lowest amount I owe. (electricity) One more month and I am almost done. The I can start paying off the second loan (roof) that is a much greater amount.
I never really thought about going with the lowest/highest interest rate. Tell me, is it wrong to do what I did ? Thanx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home