J-Lay

"Should've Been A Cowboy"

Saturday, October 22, 2005

My New Way To Travel

yesterday on my way home from work the traffic wasn't flowing smoothly at all. i'm sure it was frustrating to most of the people that surrounded me in their cars, but it didn't bother me at all. why you might ask? it's because i was busy reading a book. no i wasn't reading a book and driving. yesterday was my first day to ride the bus to work. those of you who have been reading my blog for a while know that i like numbers and love to crunch them. so i did some math and figured out that i can save quite a lot of money by riding the bus to work and i loose very little time doing so. this alone was enough to make me want to ride the bus to work.

back at the first of september i started working in downtown dallas. 25 miles from my home in lewisville. i was all for using public transportation to get there, but the DART train doesn't exist out my way. at least not until a projected 2012. recently i notice that a bus was running out of carrollton, just a few miles south of me, to downtown dallas. so i hopped online, went to DART's website, and did some research. i found that a bus route started just off of hwy 35 and the george bush turnpike. so i decided to try it out yesterday.

beyond the savings of gasoline, money, and the wear and tear on my car. i don't have to suffer any stress from driving in congested traffic. instead i can listen to music, read, play video games, chat with people, or take a nap. all of which are better than stress. the only thing i must give up in return for all of my benefits is i must leave for work 10 mins earlier and i will get home 20 mins later than i normally would. even with this 30 minutes of extra time on the road i consider it a gain because i get to do activities that i would not be able to do while driving my car. it is genius and i love it!

i bet ya’ll thought this was going to be another number crunching post huh? well, it was going to be one, but i decided to take out all of the number crunching after reading comments from previous post of those who phase out after seeing a couple of numbers.

2 Comments:

At 10/23/2005 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take the bus to work and school, and the only time I don't like taking the bus is when I am on it after 9:00pm comming from work in the DT of the city where I live. LOTS of drunk and stoned people...quite the cultural experience.

My bro who would not have been caught dead on the bus, recently had his car break down and cold not afford to get it fix. So he took the buss for about 6 months and in that time saved enough money to do alot of things...very cool!

I'm proud of you for taking the bus! I get alot of reading done on it myself

 
At 10/23/2005 8:35 PM, Blogger Keymaster said...

You're helping the environment and your stress level and your saving money to boot! Good on you, J-Lay!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home