J-Lay

"Should've Been A Cowboy"

Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Final Stage

i might have reached the final coffee stage recently. for this morning i drank my second cup of black coffee in two weeks. i'm sure you're wondering what i mean by coffee stage. to me there are different levels of coffee drinks. it kind of like a scale. you have your light coffee drinks like frapachinos that look more like chocolate milk and taste pretty close to it, and then you have the ultimate coffee drink know as black coffee. how many stages are in between i do not know, but there are stages non the less. six years ago when I moved to dallas i didn't like coffee at all. this might have to do with the fact that might first ever experience with coffee was drinking black coffee.

i don't feel that most people can start drinking coffee at the black stage. with coffee you can't just hit the ground running. you have to start with a crawl and work your way up from there. back to my story. when i moved to dallas a friend invited me to starbucks. a place i knew nothing about because there wasn't a starbucks within 100 miles of my home town. when i got there i didn't know what to order, but i was willing to try something. so my friend bought me a frapachino, and that is where my coffee life started. while going through college i occasionally found the need to load up on coffee to get through a project and i found coffee to be a great help in that area. i would make coffee and mix it with hot coca or go to starbucks and order a mocha. one day i tried the macchiato and though it was a bit stout to me at the time i still liked it. now six years later i can pour a cup of coffee and drink it without any milk, creamer, sugar, or coca, and the more stout it is the better. i find that i prefer the darker roast such as french roast or espresso roast over the lighter breakfast blends.

3 Comments:

At 4/09/2006 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've given up coffee for a while, so this post made me crave it! Try the cinnamon dolche latte at starbucks - it is pretty good! Well, enjoy your coffee and drink a cup for me:)

 
At 4/10/2006 7:06 PM, Blogger Natalie Elaine said...

totally agree with you -- i try to hold off on the black coffee bit, especially because i only like real coffee black and i can dumb down a latte with some steamed milk -- but NEVER cream

 
At 4/11/2006 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would argue that the final coffee stage is an entire cup of black espresso... Even I haven't quite gotten there yet. ;-)

I consider myself pretty hardcore, and I PREFER my coffee STRONG with sweetner and milk (not cream), but I'll drink it black if it's the only option.

In the summer or on the weekends, when I do have time to make my own espresso beverages, It goes like this: four shots of espresso, 1/8 cup of milk, 2 small spoonfulls of natural cane sugar. Best. Drink. Evar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home